Friday, March 29, 2013

Strength Challenge Update 3/28. PLUS Friday Fit Tip

Time for another workout update for the strength challenge. With 5 workouts in the books I am still making good progress. It's amazing how little time I am spending and how I am able to continue my triathlon training full speed ahead with no noticeable effects from strength training.

I will have to admit, I have gained two pounds. I believe this is probably due to my appetite. There are days where it seems like I can eat eat and eat more without ever feeling full. I know I said I would keep weight constant. I apologize for my lack of discipline in the kitchen.

Just as an example here is what last week's training looked like for me

SAT: 12x150m sprint 250m jog
SUN:Lift
MON: Spin class 45:00
TUES: 2hr moderate hike
WED:Spin Class 45:00
THUR: Lifting and 10x100yrd swim :30 seconds recovery.
FRI: Easy spinning 45:00


Most meat-heads would tell you there is no way I could gain muscle mass or strength with so much cardio. I seem to be able to defy all odds. It's funny how what is "common knowledge" can be defied when all variables are considered. I know I could gain more and be stronger without, but that is not the purpose. My goals were to get 10-15% stronger.

Here are the stats from my workout:

Deadlift 5x8 @275, 285,285,285,295
Incline Smith press (slow reps) 5x8 @155,155,155,155,145
Cable Row: 5x8 @120
Hanging Leg lift: 5x10

Here is my Friday fit tip:

How did static stretching come to dominate almost every warm up and cool down protocol of fitness? If you take a closer look at research, static stretching does almost nothing for actually warming the core temp, reducing injury, or increasing performance.

If static stretching does one thing well, it's probably making you able to touch your toes. In articles I have read about the matter as long as we have an acceptable range of motion, static stretching does nothing for us athletically. It doesn't "stretch" the muscles. Just inhibits your stretch reflexes making it so they lengthen further.

I know that as many of you read this you are shaking your heads wondering how I can write such a thing when everyone else in the gym, or the run, or in yoga class is doing it. If this is the case how can so many people be wrong? Like with chronic cardio, we are conditioned, taught, and brought to believe that we are getting something more out of it.

So what is a better option? You want to loosen up your tight back, get mobile, and be able to tie your shoes without sitting down. My answer for you is to look into dynamic stretching and mobility drills. I do these with all my clients. The basic principal is that we are moving through the range of motion rather than just standing there.

This accomplishes two things. First we are getting a good warm up in, and second we are actively stretching, such as you would be doing in real life. Research has shown this to be much more effective. Drills like leg swings, hurdle duck unders and many more.

If you would like to learn a little more about how to stretch dynamically get in touch with us!



No comments:

Post a Comment