Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Update

So, it has been a while since my last post... I took some time away from social media and, obviously, blogging was included in that. I'm now back, however, and will be updating the blog more frequently again.

During these last few weeks that I was out I ended up finishing my 3-day a week training program that I mentioned earlier. It was a good thing for my body, but I am glad to be back and training more frequently as well. I'm not really sure what competition I am training for at the moment, but I have a few in mind; one would be strongman and the other two would be powerlifting meets. Any of them would be fun. 

As far as my training goes, I am back and getting after it on deadlift as well as the rest of my training. Another focus of mine during this training block will be to increase my squat in general, but mainly my back squat. I believe that it is a limiting factor on my deadlift and that if I can increase it, it will help a great deal on my deadlift. I know that some people don't believe that the two are very related (one being a 'push' and one being a 'pull') but I disagree with that. If you have a good squat, it will help a great deal with breaking the weight from the floor and if you have a great deadlift, it will help a lot in keeping you back -mainly low back- from being the limiting factor in your squat.

Another thing that I thought about training-wise while I was away from the blogosphere that I would like to pose as a question to the readers:
What are your thoughts on geared lifting?
I'm not talking about competitive geared lifting, but I am talking about using us as a nervous-system overload. I have been thinking about it a lot, and looked at some of the elite powelifters and they tend to be able to do a lot of weight without gear too... so my question, refined, is: do you think it is because of the nervous system overload or because they are just strong people? or both?

I will finish this scattered and brief post with another, much more general question: has anyone read the books that I posted about earlier this summer and if so, what are your thoughts? If you are only part of the way through, what are your thoughts so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment