Thursday, April 11, 2013

Strength Challenge Finale!

After four weeks, the strength challenge has been completed. It has been a fun ride.

I initially wanted to take on this challenge to show people how easy it is to make gains in the weight room. Being on a structured program, following a specific plan, and by doing it the right way, I added significant strength to my body.

Again, here were the guidelines of the experiment:
No longer than 30 minutes total.
Lifted twice a week
Complete4-5 sets of 8 on each lift. There was some variation.
I continued my triathlon training with no reduction in volume
No signifigant weight gain.

I did a pre-test of my ten rep maxes. The overall goal was to gain 10-15% on these tests.

I kept a log, which you should know by now if you've frequented the blog.

Here are the final results:
Deadlift 305......an addition of 40lbs
Squat 245......addition of 20lbs
Overhead press 135.....addition of 15lbs
Pullups 23    increase of 3

Looking at the results it's quite astonishing, keep in mind that this is a 10 rep max. meaning that my 40lb increase for deadlift for 10 reps means my total work increase was 400lbs. Not bad for 60 minutes of lifting a week.

Overall, deadlift was the only exercise in which I met my goal. I had substantial increases in the other lifts. My ambition was a bit too high I believe.

Towards the end of this experiment I began to feel a bit run-down. This could be to a slight increase in endurance training but I don't know how much longer I could have maintained this program. The gains slowed towards the end, the joints were a little sore, and I was starting to loose the energy I had.

Overall, I think I accomplished my goal. I proved just how easy it is to gain strength in the weight room. I always see people who are lifting for an hour 4 times a week with little to show for gains. Hopefully, this proves that this can be accomplished in a time efficient minimal effort.

I will now take a week off of resistance training and begin another cycle. Now that triathlon, running, and cycling season is come into full swing I'll be looking to maintain my muscle mass and strength as the main goal.

More to come so stay posted! As always, if you would like to get stronger send me a message and I can help!

Andrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment