Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Road to 800

I've decided to not post the week number after the title given the fact that this series could take a long time to see happen. Haha...

Well, now that that's out of the way we can go over the last few weeks of deadlifting for me. Before that happens, I want any and all of the readers to know that this series -although to update you with how the deadlift is coming along- is also to inform you of my ways of improving my deadlift. I want this series to show the exercises that I am doing and how I am doing them so that you, the reader, can take some of the things that you like and use them within your own workouts (although I'm not doing anything too out of the ordinary and you are probably doing them). If you ever have any questions, comments, even concerns about the deadlifts, the variations, or the rep schemes that I am doing, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Anyways, now onto the deadlifts of the last few weeks. they have been an interesting two weeks because my training has been kind of messed up. I had two conferences to go to each weekend of these two weeks -one in Minnesota and then the next in Kansas. I was only able to train 4 times during the weekend in Minnesota, but was lucky enough that one of those times was at the University of Minnesota (which was great!) and last week I was only able to train 3 times. Although my training times were out of whack, I was able to hit some pretty good numbers.

Two weeks ago I went up to 320kgs for a 3x1 on 18" deadlift; this was down a little from my usual, but I was ok with it considering that the Friday before I did a deadlifting competition with a fellow Hydraulix athlete. He posted a challenge a while back that was 315lbs as many times as you can in three separate attempts and then they were all added up... I ended up with 151 reps. I was sore and fatigued for much longer than I expected I would be. Anyways, the next day I had a great lift and did 1-3, +5 at 220 on stiff-leg deadlift in the morning, then I did 290 by 1-3 on deadlift that afternoon. I was very pleased with that. I didn't deadlift again until that Friday when I was at Minnesota; I paired it with back squats and pin squats so I only did dynamic singles up until my last set at 250kgs for a pretty easy single.

The next week I got killed on the first half of my workout, bad enough that I ended up losing that battle; I had to stop my workout after deficit deadlifts where I only worked up to 240kgs for four singles. Terrible day. However, the next day I was able to hit a small PR on the axle deadlift and worked up to 375lbs double overhand; this is still not really where I want it, but it is taking a while for my grip to come along. Later that day I worked up and did 5x2 up to a new PR of 545lbs on banded deadlift ( the video is below); I don't know what the tension from doing the band like that is, but it is a new PR for me and that is how I always do it. The next day was just snatch-grip dynamic deadlift for 7x1 so nothing too exciting there.

That's all I have for now on my deadlifts! Thanks for reading and remember to let me know about any questions, comments, or concerns.


No comments:

Post a Comment